Sunday, September 18, 2011

Superficial Girly Magazines

Yesterday, while enjoying a frappe (or for all you non-MA people, a milkshake) at an incredible gelato place, I found myself leafing through a Spanish magazine. No, it was not something like Newsweek. It was more like the type of gossipy magazines you find at the grocery store checkout. I don’t read these kinds of magazines in the States, so I had no intention of buying them in Spain. However, this magazine made my day. It’s called Cuore, and almost all of the photos are completed with speech bubbles. Many times, these speech bubbles have nothing to do with what the person would actually be thinking. It’s pretty much the greatest. Warning: if you ever become famous, hope that you never endure a public nip-slip at the beach, because if you do, your breast is bound to end up on the cover of a Spanish magazine! Anyways, I loved Cuore so much that I bought my own. The best part: new ones come out weekly!


In my defense, I’m learning some great colloquial words/slang by reading this cheesy magazine.

And for your enjoyment:


(Rough) Translation:
“This looks like a happy photo, but we’re all already divorced.”
“Yes, I’m the one from Medium…and this is my ex.”

Spanish word of the day: hacer pis = to pee (Because my Señora tells me at least once daily that she has to pee—it sounds like “necesito hacer PEACCCCCCCEEEEE.” At first, I was a bit taken aback, since it sounds much more like “I need to piss” than “I need to pee.”)

peace (not pis),
elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment