Monday, October 3, 2011

Mail and Birthday Cards

For those of you who don't know, my little brother is turning 18 next week. (Happy birthday, Nate!) A few days ago, I set out to find him a birthday card. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. First, I had to FIND a card--much more difficult than it sounds, as birthday cards are apparently largely an American thing. I spent several days walking around to various "copisterías" and "paperlerías" (copy centers and paper stores), following the directions provided by employees at each store: "Go to the papelería on Calle Asunción." "Go to the tourist shop two doors down." Usually, I was told to go to the place I had just left. Additionally, I was thwarted by the fact that nothing useful opens on Sundays, not even "El Corte Inglés," a store similar to Wal-Mart except that it is more expensive, way bigger, and much classier. Usually this store will have anything you're looking for (including peanut butter!!!).

El Corte Inglés in Sevilla's center:

As it turns out, even El Corte Inglés has a limited selection of birthday cards. However, it was the best selection I could find. Card in hand, I set off to buy a stamp and get it in the mail. Seeing as I have quite a bit of experience mailing postcards, I thought nothing of this endeavor. Normally, you can find stamps in any tobacco stand on the street (and there are many tobacco stands, as there are lots of smokers here). One of the stands close to where I live is owned by a lady who has never let me down. Unfortunately, her stand was closed! I went to the stand a few hundred meters away from hers, and he was out of stamps! He told me to go to the central post office, only a few blocks away. Normally, this wouldn't be tragic. However, I had been walking around the city for 3 hours (I bought bus tickets to Portugal!), I had already passed by this post office (without knowing it), and I wanted nothing more than to make it home ASAP. Still, I found the post office and got in line. As it turns out, this was a bit of a cultural experience. First, the inside of the building itself is gorgeous. Second, "getting in line" involves taking a ticket, like a deli ticket at an American grocery store. As customers are helped, numbers are called. Unfortunately, the organization involved in all of this does not reflect the speed at which transactions were completed. I waited a full 15 minutes just to buy one measly stamp. So brother Nate, know that while your card might not be the most exciting, lots of love went into it!

Spanish word of the day: llegar tarde = to arrive late (because my professor, who left us with a guest lecturer for the previous two classes, showed up 15 minutes late to a one hour class today)

saludos,
elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment